- Post 15 June 2012
- By The Associated Press
BALTIMORE (AP) — Baltimore's comptroller is accusing the mayor and the city's former information technology director of illegally buying $659,000 in video phones.
The Baltimore Sun reports Comptroller Joan Pratt made the accusations Wednesday at a Board of Estimates meeting. She noted former Information Technology Director Rico Singleton resigned following revelations of procurement violations in a previous job in New York state government.
Pratt told the mayor that the purchase never went before the board and infringed on her authority. Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake responded that the information technology office has saved the city money. City Solicitor George Nilson says he doesn't believe anything illegal was done but will review the purchase.
A spokesman for the mayor says the issue has not been raised previously and she was still trying to get details.
(Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)